Monday, March 12, 2018

Golf

Image result for tiger woods



Golf is one of my favorite sports. Even though I will not make it on the pro tour any time soon, I play frequently, and am always trying to improve my game. When I was in college, I wanted to go golfing, but I did not have anyone to golf with me. I convinced my roommate, who had never golfed before, to come with me and try to learn. The first time we went, he did not like the game. He cursed, yelled, and threw his clubs when he got frustrated with the game. Even though he did not like it at first, he continued trying. The next time we played, he smacked some really nice shots! After that day, he smiled and said he liked the game a lot! Now, once the weather is warm enough, we play golf all over Long Island. Even though I learned how to play first, there are some days when he plays better than I do! 




Vocabulary

pro tour - professional league for golf
frequently - a lot 
improve - make better
convinced - made other want to do something
smacked - hit (golf ball) hard
frustrated - upset; fed up

Activity

Use the vocabulary word to help you complete the following sentences logically.
1. I go on vacation frequently. Just last year, I went on vacation ______ times. 

2. I improved my test score. The first time I got ____ and the second time I got ____. 

3. Even though my friends didn't want to see the movie, I convinced them to go by _____________________________ . 

4. I like hanging out with you, but I get really frustrated when you _______________. 

5. Some golfers on the pro tour include _______________________. (You may use Google or ask a friend!)

6. Yesterday, I smacked the golf ball. It went so far that... 


Grammar Point - VERB TENSE (past)


When you tell stories of events that already happened and are now finished, you use the past tense. You might recognize regularly conjugated verbs in the simple past tense by looking at the endings and seeing "-ed." In my post, I used convinced, frustrated, and smacked to show things that already happened. Even though finding the "-ed" is a good rule to determine past tense, there are many irregular conjugations that take time to practice. One of those is the past tense of the verb "throw" - it is "threw."  

Write a story telling me about one of your experiences with sports. Be sure to use four examples of the simple past tense to conjugate your verbs and tell your story. 

1 comment:

  1. Great entry on golf! I have never played anything but miniature and pitch & putt. I like how you made your friend a golf player.

    All the other components of the entry are also good.

    ReplyDelete