Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Food!




Food is something that unites people and makes people happy, but too much of some foods can be detrimental to your body. Some of my favorite foods are pizza, chicken wings, and pulled pork. I also like cookies, doughnuts, and ice cream when I crave something sweet. Unfortunately, all of these choices are quite unhealthy. Recently, I decided to begin eating healthy in order to feel better and treat my body better. Now, I eat grilled chicken, egg whites, and turkey. I prepare these foods on Sunday before the week begins, so I do not have to cook during my busy week. I also eat a lot of vegetables. Some vegetables I eat include asparagus, green beans, broccoli, and brussels sprouts. These foods do not always taste the best, and it is hard to fight some of my urges to eat poorly, but I understand that eating better will make me feel better every day. Maybe during the summer I will work to build my culinary skills to make these foods taste better! 




Vocabulary

unites - brings together
detrimental - very bad 
crave - want very badly
quite - very
urges - wants
culinary - having to do with cooking

Activity

Fill in the blank with the appropriate vocabulary word. 

In order to ____________ the friends (Jenny and Rita) who are fighting, Mary decided to throw a party. Before the party, she ____________ her friends to stop fighting because that would be ____________ to the amount of fun everyone would have. Jenny said she will not stop fighting because Rita ____________ attention all the time and she did not want to give her that attention. When the party started, it was ____________ uncomfortable. Fortunately, as the food came out, it appeared that the chef's ____________ expertise was enough to bring the friends together.  

Grammar Point - COMMAS (in a list)

One important use for commas is to separate items in a list. As you can see in my post, I separated two lists of foods I like: "pizza, chicken wings, and pulled pork," and "cookies, doughnuts, and ice cream." A comma goes after each item in the list. 

Complete the following sentences with properly punctuated lists of three or more items. 

My favorite movies are... 

My favorite foods are... 

My best friends are... 

3 comments:

  1. I am very happy you are making healthy choices. Most people are not educated in what foods are healthy and unhealthy. Keep up the good work! Also, I really like the fill-in the blank activity you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this blog is great because not only does it model how to use commas, it also offers some healthy choices that students can try. You present the information in an honest way which makes it easy for students to relate to. I also like how your grammar activity is centered around the student's specific life, instead of back to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the trick is making the healthy choices taste good. Unfortunately, oil and salt really enhance flavor but are not too good for us.
    Great entry for students because of the useful entry and grammar point!

    ReplyDelete