Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives


During my free time, when I am not teaching or grading, I like to watch The Food Network channel on TV. My favorite show is called "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives." The host of this show is Guy Fieri, a zany, outgoing chef who has bleached, spiky hair! On his show, he travels the country to find the best places to dine. He speaks to the owner of each restaurant and discusses secret recipes, cooks the most well known dishes, and of course, tastes them! Watching this show while I am trying to eat healthy is torturous at times. When the food is cooking, I can almost smell it through the television! Even though the food can be tantalizing, I still like watching the show because I can learn about the customs and cultures in other states, and maybe get some ideas for a road trip in the future!

Vocabulary

zany - strange, bizarre, weird.
outgoing - friendly and socially confident.
bleached - made lighter or whiter than what is typical.
torturous - involving or causing extreme pain or suffering.
tantalizing - to tease with the sight of something that is unobtainable.
customs - traditions of a group of people from a certain area.


Activity

Match the vocabulary word with the appropriate synonym. 
1. torturous                                a.difficult to deal with
2. outgoing                                 b.friendly 
3. customs                                  c. traditions
4. tantalize                                 d. tease
5. zany                                       e.white
6. bleach                                     f. wild


Grammar Point - ADJECTIVES


Adjectives are words that describe nouns. Typically, adjectives come before the nouns in a sentence, and are used to give the reader or listener more detail. 
In my post, I used the adjectives zany and outgoing to describe Guy Fieri. 

What are three adjectives you would use to describe what Guy Fieri is wearing in the image at the top of this post?





2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the show more than once or twice. I am glad that you enjoy it. There are many great places to eat across the US that are hidden gems. I really enjoy the Elias Coe, which is up by my brother in North Jersey.

    The entry is good but still missing the grammar point and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched this show but it seems like I would like it! I liked how you used a lot of adjectives to describe Guy Fieri, this will be super beneficial to ELL's when they are learning what adjectives are. Great vocabulary activity making connections with synonyms. I think this will reassure learners of what a synonym is and allow them to practice with the given examples using the matching column!

    ReplyDelete